Pearl John

Pearl John
Artist Working with Holography

Tuesday 17 September 2019

So, there's a focus on making perfect reproductions in the holography community (scientists, technologists and hobbyists).  Full-colour analogue holographic masterpieces are often made of low cost items which don't warrant the resources that have gone into turning them into holograms.  If you consider the amount of time and money that goes into holographic perfection then the only objects worth reproducing are the beautiful and expensive Fabergé eggs that have been 'optocloned'. 

I'm not really interested in 'perfect' though for my next project: My full colour holographic family.  This work will exploit the mess that making full colour holograms with basic equipment will lead to. I am going to make split beam rather than the usual single beam full colour holograms, so my colours will overlap as different wavelengths reconstruct in different places. 

The beams won't be spatially filtered either, so there will be all sorts of spots and swirls of different colours enlarged through my lenses.

Consider the imperfection of Warhol's flowers https://collections.artsmia.org/art/67869/flowers-andy-warhol.  This is not bad screen printing.  This is beautiful.  This is what I'm hoping for.  I'll be using overlapping layers of colour using light instead of ink. 

No comments:

Post a Comment